©2018 by National Inventory Company. Proudly created with Wix.com

Licencing... what should you have!

October 18, 2018

Over the next 5 years the UK is changing how it rents, landlords will need to apply for a licence


rent their property, some parts of the UK have already adopted this scheme.


Whats does this mean for the landlord....


Under Local Authority Property Licensing legislation, it is will be illegal to privately rent out a residential property without the correct property licence known as Private Rented Property License (PRPL) scheme.


As a landlord you will be required to supply valid certificates for:


· Gas Safety Inspection (GSI)

· Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

· Portable Appliance Test (PAT)

· Electric Safety Inspection (ESI)

· Tenancy Deposit Protection (TDP) Certificate

· Fire Risk Assessment (FRA)

· Legionella Risk Assessment (LRA)

Landlords must also have, working and tested (6-monthly):

· Smoke Alarms

· Carbon Monoxide detectors

Additionally to the above list, all Landlords must now provide, on request:

· A completed, highly detailed, 6-monthly written inspection report, with photographic evidence

· A maintenance log of all reported and actioned repairs, with a timeline

· A method of reporting maintenance in the tenants native language

· Details of checks undertaken prior to the tenants occupying their property to verify their “Immigration Status”, and to also provide

evidence of the tenant’s proof(VISA) allowing them the right to live/or and work in the UK.

Consequences to Landlords for non-compliance include (but not limited to):

· Fine of up to £20,000.00: for illegally renting a property without a licence

· Fine of £5,000.00: for non-compliance with licence requirements

· Possessions claims struck out: for failing to adhere to the PRPL conditions

A valid PRPL certificate is required as it forms Part 3 of the Housing Act 2004, without which would invalidate any Section 21 or Section 8 Notice.


Above are the conditions that every landlord has to fulfill in accordance with the Council regulations, which may vary from council to council, please see below for your relevant Borough Council.

Please reload

Featured Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Recent Posts

January 6, 2020

Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square